11.21.2010

At the ballet

I come from a long line of ballerinas. My grandmother owned the Newgren Ballet School in San Jose, CA. My mother, aunts, and uncle all danced in it. My great grandmother was a ballerina, so was my great aunt, and so on. I grew up with photos of them in their dancing heydays all around my home and played dress up in their old costumes as a girl. Ballet is very prominent in my family and I sometimes feel guilty that it all ended with me and my sisters. I didn't have the feet for it - literally, I have extra bones in my feet that don't allow me to go on pointe (which isn't an uncommon thing, actually). That, and, well, I don't remember ever being very good at it.

And I always hated wearing a bun because my ears stick out and kids used to call me "Dumbo." On the brighter side, I'm pretty sure it's the reason for my thin frame and small stature; I'm 5'2'', size 0, and have yet to hit 100 pounds.

Anyway, all that being said, I'm totally intrigued by Black Swan. Or, as I like to call it, Were-Swan.

3 comments:

Liz said...

My ears stick out too!!! I wasn't brave enough to wear my hair up outside of a dance class until I was like 17.

chelse said...

I used to be a ballerina, and wished I still was. But I can't ever remember being under 100 lbs so for that I am extremely jealous of you!

Carianne Hoshiko Hirano said...

I used to be a ballerina as well. However, I remember I stopped going when my mom's friend's daughter wanted to start ballet with me. She was evil. So I dumped my dreams of being in the Russian ballet down the drain. Flush.

My email is choshiko8@yahoo.com when you get a chance! Thanks sooo much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...