3.09.2010

Sun peeking out



I’m so happy it’s spring, even if it’s just dumpy-gray spring and the snow has yet to completely disappear. The roads were clear enough this weekend that we went longboarding, which I hadn’t done in over 6 months so I was nervous at first, but I picked it right back up. Back when I first got a bike, I remember feeling dorky with little confidence as I rode around town . . . then I picked up longboarding, and riding a bike was totally easy in comparison. Now that I’m trying to get confident at roller skating, longboarding feels like a piece of cake . . .

I ride a Landyachtz Spud (the tree design of which I HATE and can’t wait to sand down and redo myself). The Spud isn’t so much a drop deck as it is a ‘lowered’ deck. I love riding it because the lowered curves feel like they hug my feet and I’m in control, especially when sliding.






A little on longboard advertising: most companies opt for a city or ‘concrete wave’ route when advertising for their boards. Riders look like your typical skateboarder, do skateboard-y tricks, or "dancing," and hang out in typical city scapes like parking lots or skate parks. But I love Loaded Longboard’s advertising—it takes you into nature and allows you to feel free with your board. Riding down winding roads surrounded by trees with mountains in the distance. Even the boards themselves support a more pure feel, with tranquil graphics instead of cheesy graffiti, and they’re made of bamboo! Loaded’s #1 board is even called the “Dervish,” which my husband and some friends ride.
Main Entry: der•vish
Pronunciation: \ˈdər-vish\
Function: noun
Etymology: Turkish derviş, literally, beggar, from Persian darvīsh
Date: 1585
1 : a member of a Muslim religious order noted for devotional exercises (as bodily movements leading to a trance)
2 : one that whirls or dances with or as if with the abandonment of a dervish

On that note, I’m actually not very good at longboarding. I ran into a snow bank on Saturday and totally freaked out some little kids who were watching. I have yet to master speed wobbles and I’ve only conquered one slide. It’s a goal of mine this summer to nail down a Pendulum (“pendi,” “pengi,” whatever), and to successfully board down Targhee. It's fun to bundle up and go out for a morning ride, rather than a morning jog.

2 comments:

McKenzie said...

THIS SUMMER!! you will be a slidin queen! you picked it up so fast on saturday, right where you left off so theres only going up from there! targhee is calling your name....

Anonymous said...

What is this long boarding? You will hafta post a video of you doing this phenomena.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...