9.26.2006

Shaking hands with someone I don't know

Today I came home from work with a very sad message from my cousin. I love him so much and I'm glad we've connected so well because I think we, along with my aunt, are the adorable black sheep of the family. Lovealbe little rebels we are, he told me about his troubles with school and other things that just made me want to cry. It's weird because I forget that I'm not that fargone from my high school years, but I feel like I left that place choking on my dust ages ago. I have friends who have yet to move away from my old hometown, and after all the traveling I've done (not that I'm Columbus or anything) I don't think I could have ever hung around that town longer than a day after graduation. And I didn't! I packed up and left for Oregon a day after graduating. It was good for me, I needed it.

I'm a completely different person now, for better and for worse because of it. At least I've gotten to a point where I'm standing on my own two feet. I was quite the wussy-wannabe in high school. Did I mention it was in Texas? Yee haw.

Included here is a picture of some of the girls I go to church with (oh, those Mormons). This was taken by a street photographer, who literally had a mini-outdoor studio set up outside of a club. He asked passers-by if they were interested in having their portrait taken, and were only asked to "be themselves" in front of the camera. So my girly friends pulled out their cell phones and called each other. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comments:

secondhandwings said...

Choking on your dust?
That's a good way to look at it. Not only do you have the pleasure of having high school behind you, but you hve the satisfaction of knowing their choking on the dust you left them.
Ah, the guilty pleasures of imagining one's high school choking as a direct result of your being there...priceless.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...