12.14.2010

Workin' like a dog

I recently judged an advertising competition on the BYU-Idaho campus. At first I was pretty nervous, and thought I'd be too nice and just Paula my way through the whole thing, but it turns out there's a little Simon in me after all.

Seeing how keyed up and nervous some of the students were got me thinking that there's some post-graduation myths I'd like to clear up, or at least relay my personal experience with.

Life is only going to get busier after I graduate.
Depends on what you're doing. The fact that homework is no longer an issue has opened up my schedule and I feel I have plenty of time for whatever I want after work. My job never comes home with me, it's strictly 8-5 p.m., M-F. The rest of my time is mine.

My inexperience will disqualify me.
Sometimes just stepping out from the crowd and making yourself known as a candidate is enough. We're looking for your enthusiasm to learn and work, not expecting you to already know the business by heart. So many students I've interviewed have been utterly stressed over their lack of real world experience. Relax, I'm impressed that you've made it this far.

Well gosh, I guess those are the only two I wanted to address. Maybe more later.

I'll just put this here:


Howlin' cyclist via Pat Perry.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...