4.09.2010

Little List of too much

Inspired by McKenzie's post on 8 albums she'd hang on her wall. I bumped the number up to 9 . . .

Bat for Lashes Fur & Gold
Picked this up after returning from China. I saw the music video for “What’s a Girl To Do?” and fell madly in love with Natasha Khan. Her voice, her style; all of it is pretty whimsical and dark and haunting and other adjectives dealing with moody beauty.

Beirut The Flying Club Cup
So beautiful. Everyone should listen to this album. This is my most recent love.

David Bowie Hunky Dory
Everyone thinks they're the biggest Bowie fan, and I'm no exception. I grew up on him and this album is my personal favorite from his catalog of work. I could listen to this album any time, anywhere.

The Smiths Louder Than Bombs
I've always been a Smiths fan, but Seve gave me this album when we were dating and it only made me fall that much more head-over-heels in love with him. "Is It Really So Strange?" is one of our songs, and it played at our wedding.


Daniel Johnston Hi, How Are You?
Seve introduced me to Mr. Johnston. In fact, he has a shirt with this album cover on it that he wears a lot . . . until I stole it. Now that we're married I guess we both own it. Daniel Johnston was always in rotation early on in our marriage, and his music will always remind me of that first year together.

Grizzly Bear Yellow House
This album was on repeat the whole season I worked in the Grand Teton National Park, and became the soundtrack to my time there. I even listend to this with headphones while hiking alone, which I'll admit isn't the smartest thing to do. Whenever I get in a camping mood, this is the music I reach for.

The Pixies Wave of Mutilation
My gosh I LOVE the Pixies! This album brings me back to high school . . . this is one of the few bands I loved at the time that managed to age well and stick around as my musical tastes developed.

St. Vincent Marry Me
As if I don't talk of my love of St. Vincent on this blog enough. I listened to this and Patrick Wolf's The Magic Position abundantly before leaving for China, which was such a happy time for me. Before entering the country we spent two days in Hong Kong, and I can't listen to "Now, Now" without thinking of the YMCA (the hotel we stayed at . . . yeah, it was really called that).

Tom Waits The Black Rider
It's hard for me to explain my love of Tom Waits to people. Another artist that Seve introduced me to, and his music can almost always be heard drifting out of our apartment. Apparently Scarlett Johansson is a huge fan of him as well.

BTW I should have bumped the number up to 10 and added Animal Collective's Sung Tongs, or 11 and added Man Man's Rabbit Habits, or 12 and added the Talking Heads Stop Making Sense . . . too many TOO MANY to choose from! But for now I'll just leave you with a song. . . I'm a little disappointed because I  wanted to feature individual song samplings after each album description, but I couldn't configure it . . . it ended up just placing the same song as the first widget for every widget. So, instead, I'll simply leave you with some Bowie:

Oh, and Happy Friday!

1 comments:

McKenzie said...

I love your list! And I shall now steal your much more aesthetically pleasing formatting for this post...as soon as i get home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...